AVG Technologies is a successful cybersecurity venture that was founded in 1991 by Tomas Hofer. The company has its headquarter in Prague, Czechoslovakia. After years of sole ownership, AVG was purchased by a fellow Czech cybersecurity company Avast in July 2016. In 2018 the company’s combined shares allowed them to hold the position of being one of the largest antivirus software worldwide. Today both the programs, i.e., AVG and Avast, are offered and marketed individually under one company banner. Even after the merger, the company continues to have the headquarter in Prague where it employs more than seventeen hundred employees and holds a consumer base of four hundred thirty-five million users.
AVG Technologies offers two antivirus packages for its consumers: AVG Ultimate and AVG Internet Security. AVG Ultimate comes with a unique VPN protection feature (virtual private network) and the AVG exclusive TuneUp system optimization software. The two software listed above are not an exclusive part of the AVG Ultimate; instead, they can be purchased separately. Apart from subscription-based software, AVG also deals in a no-cost basic anti-malware/ antivirus solution AVG AntiVirus Free.
Products of AVG Technologies
The basic antivirus and security software offered by AVG Technologies includes AVG AntiVirus Free that provides reasonable protection against malwares, and two subscription packages: AVG Internet Security and AVG Ultimate.
AVG AntiVirus Free Software
The free subscription Antivirus software of AVG offers protection against real-time anti-malware, phishing, ransomware, and other malicious threats that might hamper the device’s performance. The software runs in the background and blocks the access of every unsafe link, downloaded files, and email attachments. AVG free antivirus software regularly scans the computer and optimizes the computer’s performance. Overall the software is a no-cost god-sent antivirus program that can considerably secure your device against all malicious threats. Consumers can access the software on both Windows and Mac.
AVG Internet Security Software
AVG Internet Security software provides its customers all the basic real-time malware protection offered by AVG Antivirus Free but with a more advanced detection algorithm. These additions help the product identify unknown and inactive malicious threats present on the device. Furthermore, AVG Internet Security guards the device against ‘zero-day’ menaces that can create havoc by exploiting connected disk drives and webcam vulnerabilities. The software also offers a two-way firewall feature and a “Do Not Disturb” mode that allows you to work, play games, watch movies and do all your tasks in peace.
Not just that, AVG internet security has an inbuilt file shredder software that detects and permanently deletes the files carrying any form of malicious threats. It provides the customer’s protection against fake websites and acts as a privacy guard that protects the consumers’ confidential information.
AVG Internet Security package offers a yearly package that can secure up to ten devices. The subscription is beneficial and cost-effective. For the one-year/ one device package, the customer needs to pay $39.99 (for the first year) and $69.99 upon renewal. On the other hand, the one-year/ten-device paces package costs $49.99 and $89.99 upon renewal. These subscriptions are accessible on all devices: macOS, Windows, Android, and iOS.
AVG Ultimate Protection Software
AVG Ultimate covers all the basic real-time features of AVG free antivirus software and Internet security. The package also includes a multi-operating system VPN security and AVG TuneUp system optimization software in addition to the classic characteristics. The product is the ultimate solution to all cybersecurity issues.
The subscription of AVG multi-operating system VPN for one year/ five devices costs around $59.88, and when bought separately, it costs $47.88 every year. Similarly, AVG TuneUp system optimization software costs $39/ 49.99$.
Customers can purchase AVG Ultimate one-year subscription, operational on ten devices (Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android) for $79.99/ upon renewal for $119.99.
After conducting an in-depth analysis, we concluded that the AVG Internet Security multi-device package qualifies to be one of the most cost-effective security software due to its magnificent features. The company also offers privacy protection software called “BreachGuard” that provides more thorough protection against identity theft malwares. You can purchase the yearly subscription of BreachGuard for merely $39.99.
Features of AVG’s Antivirus
AVG Antivirus software offers numerous features that protect your device and your digital identity against all malicious threats. We are listing the top few features for your reference:
- AI Detection: This AVG feature is designed to identify malware samples cataloged by the in-house team of Threat Labs.
- Turbo Scan: The scanning time used by AVG is lesser than most antivirus software due to the turbo scan feature, which skips the already marked safe files.
- Behavior Shield: Zero-day malicious threats are among the most dangerous malwares that target all the unknown vulnerabilities. This AVG feature protects the device against zero attacks and keylogger (malicious software that enters the system unauthorized to steal pre-recorded passwords and personal details) without disturbing customers’ operations.
- Do Not Disturb and Silent Modes: DND feature of AVG permanently blocks pop-ups and social advertisements for promising peaceful game time, work, and movie sessions.
- Email Shield: It permanently obstructs infected and phishing email attachments.
- Toolbar Remover: The toolbar protection feature confiscates all potentially dangerous and unwanted toolbars extensions installed in the device without prior permission to install malware.
- File Shredder: This feature terminates all files and data that allow access for unauthorized and unintended recovery.
- Fake Website Shield: The feature averts frauds from hijacking the information of domain name system (DNS) settings.
Lastly, AVG antivirus and security software also offer Link Scanner future that alerts the customers of infected internet links. Wi-Fi Guard notifies when the device connects to any unprotected open Wi-Fi network, and Webcam Protection forces applications to seek permission before accessing the webcam feature.
Advantages of AVG Technologies
The features of AVG technologies are incredibly beneficial not just for security purposes but also for optimizing the computer performance. AVG speeds up the devices by clearing out all the browser traces, cache files, tracking cookies, and all leftovers programs that create more storage space and better performance. The software also boosts the battery backup of the computer and keeps all programs updated. It ensures that the devices are secured from all problems that can impose threats in the future.
AVG also ensures the cleaning of the system registry and removes pre-installed bloatware and junk files. The software also detects and terminates all unnecessary programs, browsing files, and all unnecessary malicious threats that can slow down browsing speed. Hence, if you select AVG, you can acquire a one-stop solution to your security worries.
How to Download AVG Product?
- Visit the official website of AVG Technologies.
- Click on the “store” option.
- View the features of each product and then click on the desired product you wish to download.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download the software successfully.
How to Install AVG Products?
- For starting the installation process, run the downloaded file.
- Then follow the on-screen instructions until you see a prompt to enter the AVG license number.
- Carefully fill in the license number (a numerical code sent on your email at the purchase time).
- Once the installation process is complete, restart your device.
How to Activate AVG?
If you have a pre-installed version of AVG product on your device and you wish to activate or reactivate it, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Start by opening your AVG product. Go to your Desktop and double click on the AVG icon or check in the notification area (bottom-right corner of your device) and click the icon.
- After opening the AVG window, click “Options.” select “Activate” if you wish to activate the AVG program for the first time or “Reactivate.”
- If the menu option is not available on the screen, check if you opened the file in the AVG Zen window.
- If you opened the file in the ZEN window, select the Protection tile first to shift the operations to the AVG user interface.
- Carefully fill in the License Number (you obtained it via email after purchasing the product) in the new license number field, and click Activate.
- AVG products will activate successfully with a new license code.
- After activating the product verify the same by going to support in the menu. The license number and validity will pop up, alongside all details of the product.
How to Uninstall AVG?
- If you wish to uninstall AVG, press the “Start” option and choose “Control Panel.”
- After that, under the “Program” option in the control panel, click “Uninstall a Program.”
- Go to the toolbar and select the AVG product you need to uninstall by clicking on the “Uninstall” option.
- On the pop-up alert window, select the “Repair and Uninstall Options” and then press “Uninstall.”
- To successfully uninstall the program, click on the “Next” option.
- Once the uninstalling is completed, immediately click on the “Restart Now” option to restart the device directly or choose “Restart Later,” to save your work and then shut down your device.
We have concluded these advantages and disadvantages after the in-depth analysis of AVG antivirus and security software products.
- AVG supports “multiple operating” systems
- Protections rating higher than most competing software.
- Advanced protection features and algorithms.
- Inbuilt/ separate VPN security, optimization tools, and identity protection features.
- VPN security is available only in the premium packages.
- No feature for parental control.
- Restricted privacy protection built-in features.
There are many antivirus and security software available in the market. Therefore we suggest you must take into consideration all of them before selecting the optimum choice for your cybersecurity needs. Other products that did extremely well in our tests are Norton, McAfee, Webroot, Bitdefender, and Kaspersky.